Education : Educator Training Program
Want to find our more? Got questions?
Apply for 2016!
Access the online application system at: https://www.regonline.com/NEWBioEducation2016
Applicaitons are reviewed on an ongoing basis, so be sure to submit your application as early as possible to ensure a spot at the event. If one location is full and a neighboring state's program has availability, you may be offered the option of shifting location.
About the Program
Bioenergy and Bioproducts Education Programs provide professional development and hands-on teaching tools for educators (grades 6 - 16, in-service and pre-service teachers and extension educators) who want to learn and teach about the Bioenergy systems currently in use and under development in the United States.
Through funding from the US Department of Agriculture, each one-week workshop provides scholarship packages to 10 accepted applicants per site. Each scholarship package includes:
- Full waiver of one-week workshop registration fees
- Full set of program kits to bring back to your classroom
- Daily lunch/snacks provided for continuation of the workshop
- Transportation to/from tour sites
- Limited support of travel costs for teachers attending the workshop
What it offers
Educators in these one-week Teacher Training Workshops will leave with the ability to teach basic bioenergy and bioproducts concepts to students and other teachers in their school using hands-on activities provided by the program. The program provides school year follow-up support to Master Teachers using the kits and activities at their school.
- The NEWBio teacher training workshop is free of charge to teachers accepted in the program (the $50 registration fee is refunded when you arrive at the workshop)
- A small stipend is provided to help offset costs associated with participation
- Participants receive over $400 in kits for use in their school
- Participants receive a comprehensive lab workbook and primer designed for integrating bioenergy concepts into the classroom.
Typical workshop agenda
- Monday: Sustainability, Bioheat/Power
- Tuesday: Systems, Bioproducts
- Wednesday: Biomass, Environment, Teaching
- Thursday: Biofuels, Policy & Economy, Presentations
- Friday: Bioheat/Power, Global